[Scummvm-devel] Skim

David Given dg at tao-group.com
Mon Nov 26 03:49:04 CET 2001

I've been working on Skim, a SCUMM resource file manipulator.
Scumm Revisited was very helpful; thanks to those who put up links to it and
the documentation. I've now got it to the stage where it can parse V4 to V7
files correctly, and save/hex dump any part of any resource within it.

I still have a few problems.

* SCUMM files are a nice, simple set of nested RIFF files. Mostly. Some
resources (SOUN, SOU) work slightly differently and I haven't been able to
parse these correctly. Does anyone know the exact format? I can decode all
the chunks inside, but I'm always left with a bit left over (eight bytes,
seems to be some sort of data). And it doesn't seem to be consistent, either.

* What's the encryption byte for .LFL files? I can decode V4 (.LEC), but I
don't know what to look for in .LFL ones.

* What's the official version numbering? I'm using V5 and V6 as described in
ScummVM, V7 for _Curse of Monkey Island_, V4 for _Monkey Island I_ (two-byte
chunk format). Presumably _Maniac Mansion_ would be V1; so what's V2 and V3?

* What's the format of BUN files? They're not RIFF files.

Eventually I want to get a set of tools that will allow you to decompile a
complete SCUMM file, modify stuff inside, and then recompile it again. Or
even do one from scratch --- DIY SCUMM games, muhahaha!

--
+- David Given --------McQ-+ "SCSI is *not* magic. There are *fundamental
+- http://www.cowlark.com -+ then." --- John woods