[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM on MacOS - some code patches

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Apr 25 16:56:23 CEST 2002

At 1:28 Uhr +0200 26.04.2002, Max Horn wrote:

[...]

>The next thing was to enable support for the Midi data in the data
>files of the MacOS variants of various games (like FoA). They use a
>sub-type 'MAC ' of 'SOU ' resource, (just like there are 'GMD ' and
>'ROL ') which contains midi chunks. Enabling is hence trivial,
>though it's possible that an instrument mapping table has to be
>added (the music uses wrong instruments, but I have yet to check
>whether this is caused by the midi data, or the midi driver). Maybe
>I can get hold of a copy of DOTT for PC, according to a comment in
>your sources this is supposed to have GM music - if I had this I
>could make sure that GM music is played correctly, i.e. verify the
>CoreAudio/QuickTime backends are playing correctly. Given the fact
>that they use different instruments for the same midi data, at least
>one of them must be wrong :-)

Replying to myself: I can run an original of Monkey Island II (which
seems to work very well, while FoA crashes very early, as does MI 1
(which used to work well 1-2 days ago, hm)), and let it output the
instruments used in each song (done). Now if somebody with the PC
version could do the same, I could match them and see whether they
are the same or not. If they are not the same I could use the
information gathered this way to setup a mapping table.

All one has to do is intercept midi event with status byte 0xC0, and
then print out the first data byte, which contains the instrument ID.
Alternatively, if somebody could send me a dump of a couple of the MI
II songs, I could compare them to the data I have here.

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>
phone: (+49) 6151-494890