[Scummvm-devel] Savefiles

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sun Dec 15 11:35:02 CET 2002

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> Well, assuming you only ever get proper save game files of
> course. What happens if a malevolent/stupid users feeds you a .png he
> renamed? :-)

He'd have to be pretty smart to rename a file on a Dreamcast memory
card.  That functionality is not provided by the normal UI.

And if he's malevolent, the only person he's gonna hurt is himself, so
I say "knock yourself out" to him.  :-)

(More seriously though, the code does have a fallback to read the file
 uncompressed if zlib says that it is not valid input.)

> I am not compressing the whole file. The header stays uncompressed,
> only the actualy data is compressed.

Right.  Then I can just pass it unmodified if it begins with "S"
like before and let your code sort out the details.

However, how will the compressor (yours, that is :) know where the
header ends?  Right now the header is generated by the scumm-specific
code, and I wouldn't expect compression to work only for scumm games,
but rather as a game-independant filter.

Of course, enforcing a common header for all savegame formats
shouldn't really be a big deal.

  // Marcus