[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] CVS: scummvm/scumm scummvm.cpp,1.99,1.100 scumm.h,1.84,1.85

J.Brown (Ender) ender at scummvm.org
Wed Dec 18 00:49:04 CET 2002

> Yes it is difficult to understand because you are contradicuting
> yourself. On the one hand you claim the old debugger is useless, so
> concurency is not needed. On the other hand you say people may
> urgently need the debugger. Hu?

The old debugger is functionally useless, that doesn't mean it is TOTALLY
useless however. It's not a contradiction, I guess I just can't express my
thoughts properly.

> Err, sorry but that's a bit arrogant. I did make a proposal, and you
> think yours is better. Well I disagree <shrug>. I still think that
> what we have now is neither fish nor fowl.

Pfft, it's not mere arrogance, it's called "keeping the lowest common
denominator". Or the KISS principle, whichever you prefer :)

> And if you now say "oh but a new developer shows up, the first thing
> he'll want to work on is a debugger", I won't even bother to comment
> that and just laugh :-)

IMHO, this is the BEST place for a new developer to start. It would
help them gain a better understanding of the functioning of the engine,
whilst at the same time creating tools useful for them to examine
behavior.

Think of it as the same as electronics. The first thing anybody wanting to
get into electronics should do is build some form of logic probe, because
it helps them understand basic concepts of current as well as providing
them with a simple tool to gain understanding of other more complex
circuity - and to verify flaws in their own designs.

 - Ender