[Scummvm-devel] Re: 16 bit graphics: Thoughts on how to implement it

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Jul 24 08:31:07 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 16:34, Ruediger Hanke wrote:
[...]
> ok, I see 16 bit graphics are quite needed for stuff like GUI. I agree
> it won't be worth to change _everything_ to draw in 16 bit from the
> start.

This may seem like an odd question, but why is 16-bit stuff needed for
the GUI? If the entire rest of the system is based around 8-bit, then
why not stick with 8-bit? That way you only need one graphics pipeline,
which makes the code smaller, simper, more optimisable, etc.

After all, the GUI is not fundamentally terribly important. It's the
actual gameplay that's what the user will be looking at all the time.

In fact, why implement our own GUI at all? Why not just use host
widgetry? Admittedly, this wouldn't work on systems without a widget
set, such as the Dreamcast, but they could easily do their own thing.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Why should we put ourselves out of our way to
+- www.cowlark.com --+