[Scummvm-devel] Descumm for Zak256 ?

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sun Jul 28 05:32:02 CEST 2002

Max Horn <fingolfin at marblehorse.org> writes:

> OK I started to work on this  myself a bit. Doing that, I noticed that
> there is sort of a problem: descumm3 should probably be really be
> called descumm_smallheaders or so. It was mostly exactly descumm5,
> only for small headers, and a very other differences. I started now to
> convert descumm3 to actually do what its name implies (descumm v3
> games), but obviously, this means that we loose support for loomcd &
> monkeyvga.
>

> There are several routes to go about this. We could add a descumm5SH;
> or we could modify descumm5 to automatically support small header
> games. Considering that descumm3 and descumm5 still are almost
> identical, we could try to get all of these differences into a single
> source file, with either the ability to switch the target at compile
> time, or even nicer, on run time... Of course that's some work :-)

My preference:  Factor out header reading and make a single binary
with command line switches to handle v3/v5/v6 and large/small
headers.  If we can do it runtime in ScummVM, there should be no
reason why we can't do it in descumm.  Without looking at the code in
question, I have no idea how much work it would be of course...  :)

  // Marcus