[Scummvm-devel] [ANN] MP3 patch for ScummVM

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Fri Mar 1 02:04:02 CET 2002

> As for the tool thing, I would create a new 'scummtools' module, and move
> things like descumm and soutoso3 into it. That would make things far
> easier for package maintainers to split the thing in half.

Just to clarify some points :

 - I choose MP3 over Vorbis ONLY because there are no integer-only decoding
   library for Vorbis (and also because I already knew how to use MAD :-) ).

 - before really releasing the patch, I think I could add another level of
   'configurability' in teh patch. I.e. add a 'compressed type' ID at the start
   of the .SO3 and then, at run time, choose one decompressor over the other.
   But to do that cleanly, one would need then to use real C++ in ScummVM (i.e.
   have the Mixer object have virtual methods for 'mix' and creator /
   destructor). All the rest (the format of the .SO3 file, the location of the
   compressed sound in the file) could be shared between compression types.

           Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/