[Scummvm-devel] State of the SCUMM: Please read.

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Thu Oct 17 17:23:02 CEST 2002

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> >I've started looking at implementing the overlays for DC, but I found
> >out there are some older changes which break the port as well.  For
> >example, GameDetector::detectGame() has been made protected (I can't
> >even begin to guess what the purpose of this change was)
>
> Simple: this is a function that is only used internally by
> GameDetector, and as such I made it protected.
>
> But if you absolutly have to call it for the DC, I don't mind if you
> change it back to publich.

As I noted in another mail, that isn't actually necessary.  I can do
it without involving the GameDetector object at all.

It's still a little odd that this particular function is protected
though, when every other function and field, internal or not, is
public.  :-)

> >, which means
> >that the DC launcher can't convert the EXE filename to the name of the
> >game for displaying in the menu any more.
>
> Is that something alike to the ingame launcher we are working on?

Yup.  Since there isn't a command line on the DC to type the filename
on, a launcher was necessary from the start.

> >  Of course, doing this
> >wasn't very convenient before either, so maybe a public function which
> >just takes a game filename and returns the name of the game (if known)
> >could be added?
>
> For one thing, you can still read the list of known games. The ScummVM

That's what I later discovered.  Last time I checked, this list was
declared static, which was why I had to do it the roundabout way of
calling detectGame().

  // Marcus