[Scummvm-devel] State of the SCUMM: Please read.

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Oct 18 01:20:07 CEST 2002

At 2:19 Uhr +0200 18.10.2002, Marcus Comstedt wrote:
>Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:
>
>>  >I've started looking at implementing the overlays for DC, but I found
>>  >out there are some older changes which break the port as well.  For
>>  >example, GameDetector::detectGame() has been made protected (I can't
>>  >even begin to guess what the purpose of this change was)
>>
>>  Simple: this is a function that is only used internally by
>>  GameDetector, and as such I made it protected.
>>
>>  But if you absolutly have to call it for the DC, I don't mind if you
>>  change it back to publich.
>
>As I noted in another mail, that isn't actually necessary.  I can do
>it without involving the GameDetector object at all.
>
>It's still a little odd that this particular function is protected
>though, when every other function and field, internal or not, is
>public.  :-)

In the past, *everything* in ScummVM was public. I am gradually
changing that, but that usually requires changes to the code
otherwere. Be assured over time more things will be protected or
private.

>>  >, which means
>>  >that the DC launcher can't convert the EXE filename to the name of the
>>  >game for displaying in the menu any more.
>>
>>  Is that something alike to the ingame launcher we are working on?
>
>Yup.  Since there isn't a command line on the DC to type the filename
>on, a launcher was necessary from the start.
>

>>  >  Of course, doing this
>>  >wasn't very convenient before either, so maybe a public function which
>>  >just takes a game filename and returns the name of the game (if known)
>>  >could be added?
>>
>>  For one thing, you can still read the list of known games. The ScummVM
>
>That's what I later discovered.  Last time I checked, this list was
>declared static, which was why I had to do it the roundabout way of
>calling detectGame().

Which luckily is not anymore the case as I had to make it global for
our launcher :-)

BTW, Marcus, you do not always have to just cope with what we do. If
you need to make a change (like changing something from protected to
publice etc.) it won't hurt to request it, esp. if it eases your life
considerably :-)

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>