[Scummvm-devel] State of the SCUMM: Please read.

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Oct 18 06:15:04 CEST 2002

At 12:21 Uhr +0200 18.10.2002, Marcus Comstedt wrote:
>Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:
>
>>  BTW, Marcus, you do not always have to just cope with what we do. If
>>  you need to make a change (like changing something from protected to
>>  publice etc.) it won't hurt to request it, esp. if it eases your life
>>  considerably :-)
>
>That's what I did, only I withdrew the request again since I found out
>it wasn't necessary.  :-)  (The actual request wasn't for it to be
>made public, but to have a public function with a better interface.)

OK :-)

>Btw, I have a "working" overlay now, but I still need to know which
>pixel format it supposedly uses

Right now it is hard coded to 565 format, but I do plan to allow 555,
too - that is, the choice will be left to the backend. To that end, I
already added PROP_OVERLAY_IS_565 to OSystem. The SDL backend returns
true in 565 mode, false otherwise, when this property is queried.
NewGUI right now doesn't make use of it, but I plan to change that
ASAP.

>  (the colors _look_ OK, but it's hard
>to know for sure)

If it has a greenish color theme on black ground, it's OK. You can
play with it, by #defining USE_555_FORMAT (see common/util.h)

>  and where the background is supposed to shine through.

The dialog background is semi-transparent, but the background of e.g.
buttons is not. At least in theory :-)

>   Oh, and is the overlay supposed to follow the "shake_pos" or not?

I am not sure what it is "supposed to be" myself. In the SDL backend
the overlay follows the shake position, i.e. it is always positioned
in the same spot relative to the game graphics. Since shaking is
frozen while the GUI shows up, neither approach makes much of a
difference.

>Also, I can't seem to get saving to work with the new GUI.  I can
>click on a free slot, which makes it reverse video.  If I then click
>the "Save" gadget, the reverse video is changed into an outline, but
>nothing more happens.  I don't seem to be able to either enter a
>description of the save game or perform the actual save.  Did the
>keyboard interface change or something?

No the usage logic for the dialog is queer. We are going to change
this. For now, select an item, then press return (this starts edit
mode), then press return again to save. Double clicking an item will
load it. Of course this is quite counter intuitive and is another
thing that I want to change ASAP (Endy's suggestion for how to do it
sounds quite reasonble).

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>