[Scummvm-devel] EScummVM: release the source code. Now.

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Dec 14 16:22:01 CET 2003

Dear Andreas Karlsson,

hereby we, the ScummVM team, one last time formally demand that you
comply to our source code license (the GPL) and release the source code
to your product (EScummVM, available as binary only from
http://dreo.org/p800/escummvm/). EScummVM is (as is obvious and you
admit yourself) derived from our product ScummVM (http://scummvm.org),
which is licensed under the GPL. By the terms of the GPL, you are
required to release the source of any modifications you make to our
program if you release a binary of said modifications. On your website,
there is an EScummVM binary, but no source code for it. Thus, you are
in violation of the GPL.

We have twice in the past requested that you change this. First on
2003-07-30
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=5684271>. You
replied and promised to release the source code, after some cleanup
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=5691008>. We
accepted that. When nothing happened, we mailed you again, on
2003-09-29
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6158816>. You
did not reply to this email at all.

This situation is unacceptable. We hereby make a third and last attempt
to settle this in peace. We give you three days (till the night from
Wednesday, 17. Dec to Thursday, 18. Dec) to react to this email by
releasing the source code, no matter what state it may be in. Should
there be prohibitive reasons which make it absolutely impossible for
you to release the source in this time frame, contact us immediately so
that we can give you some more time.

If you fail to comply to our license a third time, we will have to take
steps against this abuse of our work, no matter whether we like this or
not. Steps would initially include informing major news sites (like
Slashdot) about your violation of the GPL as well as a news item on our
website and on SF.net. In addition we may then contact the FSF (Free
Software Foundation, http://www.fsf.org) as well as your ISP, informing
them about the situation.

I am extremely sad that it has to come to this. I am not happy to have
to threaten you. However, we see no other way to protect our rights,
since you have not shown any reaction in reply to our friendly and
patient earlier attempts to get you to respect our hard work.

Regards,

Max Horn
ScummVM Project Lead
on behalf of the ScummVM Team