[Scummvm-devel] Adventure Game Studio

Jonathan Gray khalek at linuxgamers.net
Sat Feb 1 16:23:28 CET 2003

On 1 Feb 2003, Marcus Comstedt wrote:

> Hey guys.
>
> I recently discovered that there is a free adventure game creation
> program called "Adventure Game Studio" (<URL:http://www.agsforums.com/
> ac.shtml>) which you can use to create your own LucasArts style games.
>
> It seems pretty popular, there are over 100 games featured on the
> site.
>
> Now the downside; the games created will only run on W*ndows.  And the
> author states that apart from possibly a Linux/X86 port, he's not
> going to do anything about that either.
>
> This sounds like a job for ScummVM!  Is anyone interrested in making
> an AGS backend to sit along with the SCUMM and Simon backends?  (I
> probably won't try to do it on my own due to limited avaiable time.)
> Since the tool to create the games is avaiable, reverse-engineering
> should be fairly straightforward.  There will probably be a fair bit
> of stuff to implement though, as the system looks pretty competent.
>
> Thoughts?  Cheers/boohs?  Volunteers?  :-)

I think you'll find anything that isn't a scumm game will get booed
currently. Especially when the author clearly has source and has stated in
the past he doesn't want to share. I think it would be best to leave this
alone, at least until there is some GPL'd source to look at.

If any other game engine would be worked on I'd imagine it will be
beneath a steel sky, as we have the (asm) source to that. And thats
probably not going to be looked at till late this year/early next.

Jonathan