[Scummvm-devel] Jamieson: Still alive?

Jamieson Christian jamiesonc at tds.net
Sat Feb 8 06:54:04 CET 2003

Regarding MT-32 notes:

(1) Mapping MT-32 sounds to GS intead of GM.... How does one get access to
GS sounds if a soundcard actually supports them? By using a Bank Select? If
so, I think we can do that pretty easily. Shouldn't have to map to a
particular note -- if the sound if being used as a sound effect, the MIDI
tracks should already be triggering an appropriate note for the effect.

Are you sure modern soundcards support GS sounds? I can't say one way or
another -- I've never seen any documentation to that effect. Would my
onboard Vortex chipset have GS sounds?

(2) Monkey Island 2 instrument problems with ROL tracks.... Yeah, yeah, I'll
get to this. I swear there's some goofiness related to specific MT-32
behaviors that I have yet to ascertain.

(3) Missing instruments.... I can check how the MT-32 emulation sounds, but
not the native output. I've seen a couple bug reports come into my scope of
responsibility that deal with MT-32 instrumentation problems, but so far
they haven't been terribly useful. I'm flying blind when it comes to putting
together this code -- any problem reports have to be VERY concise and VERY
detailed. Until somebody finds it in their heart to send me an MT-32, that
is.... ;)

Again, I will be unavailable to work on ScummVM until the middle of March. I
have a fast-looming deadline on another project that is chewing up all of my
free time. Sorry I can't clean up the MIDI stuff any sooner -- I was kinda
hoping the CoMI craze would draw attention from it for a while anyway. ;)
Once I have this project put to bed, I'll pick up ScummVM again.

Thanks for the feedback, Chuzz.

	-- Jamieson630