[Scummvm-devel] New release, same FMOPL

J.Brown (Ender) ender at scummvm.org
Fri Jul 11 20:55:01 CEST 2003

> > There are definitely bugs in the old FMOPL code when it comes to
> > accuracy. But since it is apparently to slow to run smoothly on iPaq
> > (and DC?), we can revert it.
>
> Actually it's too slow for the SPV Smartphone (~ 120 MHz) - my 200 MHz Ipaq
> is happy with it. But there are a few 80 MHz Pocket PCs out there too :)

I also get some fairly severe sound stutter on my 120Mhz iPaq during
scenes with a fair bit of movement, and also occasionally on my
Playstation2. However the old FMOpl code (now in CVS) does not display
these symptoms. The DreamCast also has sound stutter in almost every Adlib
game, although I'm still waiting for Marcus to confirm whether the
reversion fixes those issues or if they are caused by another problem.

> > Stutter in a sound callback drive playback
> > engine does *not* mean the system is too slow to handle the load,
> > rather it just means that the sound data generation takes longer than
> > the max. allowable latency of the sound callback. Usually that
> > "problem" is easily solved by using the producer-consumer thread
> > pattern.

In any case, as I've said before, I really don't see any compelling
reasons to use the new codebase. However, as I've said on IRC, after 0.5.0
we may wish to trial the latest MAME FmOPL on the slower platforms.

 - Ender