[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] CVS: scummvm/scumm script_v2.cpp,2.148,2.149 scummvm.cpp,2.279,2.280

Jonathan Gray khalek at scummvm.org
Mon Jul 14 04:31:29 CEST 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Max Horn wrote:

> Am Montag, 14.07.03 um 12:50 Uhr schrieb J.Brown (Ender):
>
> >> If you want this change to be verified, then it would be helpful if
> >> the
> >> FIXME would list the initial reasons *why* it was added.
> >>
> >> So, let me ask, *why* was this change made? Surely there must be a
> >> good
> >> reason, e.g. a script which access actor 13... it is very surprising
> >> that the V1 Zak needs more actors than the V2 one, but of course it is
> >> possible.
> >
> > I don't believe it has more, the fixme was added based on hacks by
> > Khalek
> > to make Zak start.
> >
> Ah. Well people in the past tried to make me believe this was needed
> for V2 games, too. I was dead set against it, based on my experience
> with how Scumm works, the script disassembly etc. And in the end it
> turned out I was right, we just had to fix our script opcodes.
>
> I am here again 99% sure it's not the correct thing to set the number
> of actors to 13; there is a 1% chance remaining that they had some
> mysterious differences in plot in V1 vs. V2, but I don't really believe
> that :-)
>
> Max

Yes I agree fully. I pointed out on irc changing this and the
script_v2.cpp change were wrong but did start zak.

I never did say to commit the monstrosity but oh well :)

I also pointed out the comment should read something like
"nasty nasty wrong hack" or something.

Clearly our reading of the bootscript is broke somehow.

Jonathan