[Scummvm-devel] New port

J.Brown (Ender) ender at scummvm.org
Thu Jul 31 03:54:02 CEST 2003

> intent has a pretty good audio and video subsystem, featuring such things as
> video overlays, paletted pixmap types, a full MIDI synthesis engine, built-in
> ogg decoding, a mixer, etc. How much of this do you think I'm going to be
> able to use, and how much does ScummVM want to do itself?

Your best leaving most of this to the existing code, as the driver
interface is limited in terms of hardware abstraction. You can definatly
use the MIDI synthesis engine (see backends/midi/), and the overlay code
may be useful for GUI overlays (but is probably overkill).

Your better off using the internal mixer, and possibly the internal ogg
decoding - you could use the hardware ogg decoding, but it may be messy.

> Also, is there an example of the absolute bare minimum driver that I need to
> implement to get things going? Once I have something actually *running*,
> doing incremental updates will be much easier...

As Khalek said, the OSystem header documents the driver interface, and the
backends/sdl driver is the reference standard for implementation.

Good luck. If you need help with anything, as usual IRC is probably best -
or the list if nobody involved in porting is around.

 - Ender