[Scummvm-devel] New port

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Jul 31 06:38:07 CEST 2003

On Thursday 31 July 2003 11:53 am, J.Brown (Ender) wrote:
> > intent has a pretty good audio and video subsystem, featuring such things
> > as video overlays, paletted pixmap types, a full MIDI synthesis engine,
> > built-in ogg decoding, a mixer, etc. How much of this do you think I'm
> > going to be able to use, and how much does ScummVM want to do itself?
>
> Your best leaving most of this to the existing code, as the driver
> interface is limited in terms of hardware abstraction. You can definatly
> use the MIDI synthesis engine (see backends/midi/), and the overlay code
> may be useful for GUI overlays (but is probably overkill).
>
> Your better off using the internal mixer, and possibly the internal ogg
> decoding - you could use the hardware ogg decoding, but it may be messy.

Mmm. A pity --- we've put lots of effort into getting the intent audio layer
fast and efficient, and it would be a shame to waste that. I suppose
theoretically it would be possible to hook things at a higher level, but this
may require changes to the way ScummVM works (which I don't want to do).

Can the OPL synthesiser be farmed out to the OS in the same way that the MIDI
synthesiser can be?

[...]
> As Khalek said, the OSystem header documents the driver interface, and the
> backends/sdl driver is the reference standard for implementation.

I will have a look, then.

(PS. Please don't cc me if you're posting to the list! I don't really need two
copies of every message...)

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it
+- www.cowlark.com --+ letter