[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] CVS: scummvm/backends/sdl sdl_gl.cpp,1.37,1.38

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 23 01:18:04 CEST 2003

Max Horn wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 22.06.03 um 14:31 Uhr schrieb Travis Howell:
>
>> Aspect ratio works with all sclaers in opengl backend
>
> Hm, in my eyes those mods just rendered the SDL_gl backend completely
> pointless (well, before this, it was already mostly pointless :-). I
> think we should either undo them, or just ditch the backend, or try to
> come up with a better solution (don't see any right now).
>
> Just look at it: the only thing the OpenGL backend provides
> differently is the bilinear filter - which is crap. Even if somebody
> wants it, we can trivially implement it in software. OTOH. the main
> reason to use an OpenGL backend, speed via HW acceleration, was
> removed by your changes, since all scaling operations are now done
> fully in software (i.e. identical to the regular SDL backend).
>
> So, on the pro side: a crap bilinear filter which we can easily
> implement in SW, too
> On the con side: slower (at least on my system); after all, after
> doing all scaling in SW, we then in addition now have to copy the
> data into a texture, which then has to be uploaded to the graphic
> card, and rendered.

How exactly have I made OpenGL backend pointless ?
Before the change ScummVM would switch to OpenGL and toggle Aspect Ratio
when Ctrl Alt A was used.
After the change the software aspect ratio is enabled for SDL scalers and
OpenGL aspect ratio is still enabled if using OpenGL filtering.

> As a side not, the GL backend now causes invalid malloc calls with
> COMI for me, and segfaults COMI as soon as I press Ctrl-Alt-A,
> Ctrl-Alt-B

That been a known issue for awhile now, although Ctrl Alt A should work with
the SDL scalers now.