[Scummvm-devel] Namespaces

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Oct 2 10:20:05 CEST 2003

Hi folks,

I was thinking about making more use of namespaces in ScummVM. In
particular, I'd like to propose that each engine module (scumm, simon,
sky, sword2, queen) shall put (most of) its classes etc. into a unique
namespace (Scumm, Simon, Sky, Sword2, Queen).

Right now, we use the old "prefix" approach to avoid name clashes. For
example, in scumm/ we have class Sound, and the others have SimonSound,
SkySound, BaseSound. Using namespaces for this IMHO is simply much more
elegant. Also, if we strictly adhere to using a unique namespace for
each project, we avoid any name clashes (and the problems caused by
this, esp. if they are 'silent') right from the start.

The current "ScummVM" namespace (used by some stuff in common) then
would be renamed ot something like "Common" to avoid mixing it up with
the "Scumm" namespace.

I really see no negative point about this, only positive. I am willing
to do most of the needed work, which essentially amount to adding some
"namespace FOO { }" and "using namespace FOO" in our header&source
files.

Still, wanted to ask what people think about it before I touch most of
our files :-)