[Scummvm-devel] Broken Sword II

Stanislav Grozev tacho at orbitel.bg
Tue Sep 9 05:56:07 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:28:09PM +0200, Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com wrote:

thanks for the quick reply.

> If you have a too old CVS version, sound either won't work at all or the
> code that handles it will be terribly unstable.

I build daily from the daily snapshots. I used to do a daily cvs update, but
the sourceforge anonymous cvs is really screwed up right now - have to retry too
many times to connect, data is 24h behind, and from today it also gives connection
refused. so i just use the daily source tarballs.

> With the current version, naming the files files from the first CD
> music1.clu and speech1.clu, and the ones from the second CD music2.clu and
> speech2.clu should work. (You may need a file called cd.bin for the speech
> to work, but I don't think this is necessary with the very latest version.)

yep, thanks, got it to work. :-)

> If those files can't be found it should still fall back on speech.clu and
> music.clu, so that playing from the CD will have a chance to work. I don't
> know if anyone has tried it though, and the code to handle CD swapping is
> currently disabled.

I hate to play from CD, because my laptop's cd drive is too noisy and don't
want to carry all the cd's with me anyway.

> > Also, any plans to support the Smack video sequences (the game intro for
> > example) - if yes, can I help somehow?
>
> From what I understand we won't be able to support them for legal reasons.
> There has been talk of re-coding them into a more open format, but I don't
> know what the status of that is.

isn't the format Revolution's, or they licensed it from someone?

> Very recent CVS versions will display the subtitles for the movies (as
> they are generated by the game scripts, rather than being part of the
> movie files themselves). I even had some code to play the voice-overs, but
> it was too ugly to withstand the light of day -- the sound code needs to
> be cleaned up a bit first.

yeah, saw the subtitles, but nothing else from the intro. still, way cool,
now I am able to play it without booting to w2k.
any plans to support Broken Sword I?

-tacho
--
  0x44fc3339 || [02b5 798b 4bd1 97fb f8db 72e4 dca4 be03 44fc 3339]