[Scummvm-devel] Joystick code

Jonathan Gray khalek at linuxgamers.net
Wed Sep 10 02:51:46 CEST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Max Horn wrote:

> Yo folks,
>
> I wonder if we should disable the joystick code in the SDL backend, or
> at the very least, turn it off by default and provide a command line
> (and config file) option to enable it. Rationale: lots of problems are
> caused by it, at least on Windows, including crashes, stuck mouse
> cursor, "wandering" mouse cursor etc. OTOH, I am aware of anybody
> actually using it. Of course that doesn't mean you, dear joystick
> users, aren't out there, which is why making this an option would be
> preferable (although slightly more work).

Surely you meant to say "I am _not_ aware" above...
I started adding a -jx where x is the joystick number option to my local
src but didn't manage to track down some really strange segfault I think
was happening in glibc.

Anyway I'd prefer is the keyboard mouse/joystick control happens at a
level above the backends. Things like button mapping for a joystick and
which keys to steal for keyboard navigation if any are rather engine
specific things for example.

> Something similiar wiht regards to the mouse emulation via keyboard: it
> bugs hell out of me when I use the arrow keys in the GUI and they move
> the mouse. Of course mouse emulation will be useful for some people,
> but I don't think the majority is even aware of it, so we could also
> just disable it by default. And add an option for it.

Yes, I agree on this... see also above comments

Jonathan