[Scummvm-devel] "Flight of the Amazon Queen", continued

J.Brown (Ender) ender at scummvm.org
Wed Sep 10 06:29:03 CEST 2003

> It would be nice to be able to use code under the GPL in any event, even
> if starting from scratch with the source as reference.

Not particually possible, several major components (at first glance at
the assembly, I won't know anything until I actually get the code :) are
licensed. Ripping them out is difficult.

I see no reason to spend the time negotiating GPL'ing code that is
ungpl'able without ripping out subsystems, and then most
likely uncompilable and unusable... when it's only going to be used as the
basis of a rewrite anyway.

However, the fact the tree is not GPLed does not prevent us from reusing
it in our rewrite. Given the hardcoded state of some data, we will
obviously want to copy/paste some things. This is allowable, I simply do
not want to negotiate GPL'ing the whole thing.

 - Ender