[Scummvm-devel] Porters, please comment!

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Tue Apr 13 01:57:04 CEST 2004

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> Porters: does your system allow two handles for one file to be at use
> (independently - i.e. each should have its own seek position, etc.) ?
> This is possible on Unix, and I hope on Windows, too (does anybody
> know for sure)? But what about Morphos, Dreamcast, PalmOS, etc. (for
> PalmOS, we doN't use threading anyway, so this is slightly less of a
> concern there). If needed, we could roll a tiny test program which
> tests this, I guess... ?

For the Dreamcast, having two file descriptors on the same file is no
problem.  However, reading from two places at the same time is not
recommended because of the seek times involved with CD drives.  (This
is what makes The Dig and ComI unplayable on the DC; the resources are
managed so badly that they need to be constantly reloaded from CD
causing disruptive load times.)  Of course, I use "at the same time"
in a loose sense here.  The DC port doesn't even have threads.

  // Marcus