[Scummvm-devel] different default savepath for *nix

Jonathan Gray khalek at linuxgamers.net
Sat Apr 17 14:51:02 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 00:08, M. Uli Kusterer wrote:
> At 14:27 Uhr +0200 17.04.2004, Max Horn wrote:
> >Is there any reason for the above locations outside the CWD, besides
> >making ScummVM working out-of-the box on read-only volumes?

Yes I doubt people like having their desktop or other directories they
choose to launch ScummVM from full of savegames.  The behaviour of
dumping saves in the CWD is inconsistent with most every game I have
installed...

> Hi Max, let me unlurk for a moment :-)
>
>   I personally would prefer if ScummVM didn't litter the directory it
> lives in with savegames. As I can't double-click a savegame to play
> it (on MacOS X, at least), it is really annoying to have oodles of
> "useless" file icons interspersed with my games and the ScummVM app.
>
>   So, IMHO "Preferences" or "Application Support" would be the ideal
> choice for savegames IMHO.

Doing a quick poll of the games I have installed it seems "Application
Support" is more popular for save games.

> >Why not rather have ScummVM check, when it is being started, whether
> >the active savepath (whatever it is), is writable. If not, pop up a
> >dialog to the user, tell 'em about it, and let them choose another
> >location, which is then stored in the config file.

Surely both can be used?

>   This sounds like a useful feature for the other Unices/Linuxen.
> Though I still think that only a command-line tool should be allowed
> to create files in the CWD. It should at least create a directory and
> put those files in there, IMHO. But I admit I'm not too well
> acquainted with Unix dos and don'ts, so feel free to correct me on
> that latter part.

Most command line utilities write to stdout by default and optionally a
file via a command line parameter.  In any event ScummVM isn't what I'd
class as a command line utility.

regards
Jonathan