[Scummvm-devel] different default savepath for *nix

M. Uli Kusterer Witness.of.TeachText at gmx.net
Sun Apr 18 04:03:06 CEST 2004

At 2:09 Uhr +0200 18.04.2004, Max Horn wrote:
>Most every game I have installed store savegames in the same
>directory they reside in, into a subdir of that directory to be
>precise. Which corresponds to the CWD, at least on OSX. Examples
>include Escape Velocity, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 2, WarCraft III,
>StarCraft, Unreal 200x, and many many more.

  Are these OS 9 games or OS X games? I.e. /Applications, if a user
chose to install ScummVM there, is only accessible to Admin users.
So, anyone running it who is not Admin will need to get savegames
saved to another location. ~/Library/Preferences or
~/Library/Application Support OTOH are always guaranteed to be
writable. As Savegames aren't really user-serviceable parts on OS X
(as I can't double-click them to launch them and their game), I think
hiding them there may actually be a better choice.

>Of course it shouldn't "clutter the desktop", I agree with that. But
>that doesn't mean we have to jump to the direct opposite. IMHO
>defaulting to a "Saves" or "Savegames" subdirectory next to
>ScummVM.app makes more sense, at least on Mac OS X. Of course it
>doesn't make sense if you have installed "scummvm" into
>/usr/local/bin on your Linux box.

  Okay, I could live with that. "Saved Games" would probably be a more
user-friendly name. Or maybe you'd want "Saved Games.localized" and
then create the needed files for localized filenames in there? ...
okay, that would be too much.

>>Doing a quick poll of the games I have installed it seems "Application
>>Support" is more popular for save games.
>
>Popular maybe yes, correct, no.

  Well, make it a subfolder of Preferences, if you put it in
Preferences. It wouldn't be nice to litter the Preferences folder
with savegames either :-)

>>Surely both can be used?
>
>Indeed.

  So, Primary path a "Saved Games" folder in the folder containing
ScummVM (which isn't guaranteed to be the CWD, BTW -- right now
Finder sets the CWD to that when launching an app, but it's already
changed once, IIRC), secondary path
"~/Library/Preferences/ScummVM/Saved Games/" ?

M. Uli Kusterer