[Scummvm-devel] Skim, V6 and arrays

M. Uli Kusterer Witness.of.TeachText at gmx.net
Wed Apr 21 06:37:05 CEST 2004

At 10:58 Uhr +0100 21.04.2004, David Given wrote:
>Remember that the stuff on the Skim page is incomplete, unfinished, and likely
>extremely inaccurate!

  Which is why I'm bothering you folks about it. I hope you don't mind.

>Is this V5 or V6?

  V6.

>V6 arrays are much more like how you describe; dim and dim2 create a new array
>and return you the handle of it. I believe you can also predefine arrays in
>the AARY chunk. But my recollection of this is very hazy; I'd suggest you
>look at the source code.

  Any hints where I'd best look? I don't really need the detailed
picture about how ScummVM implements this in detail, just enough to
write byte code that ScummVM will run.

>  >   And local variables can only contain integers, right?
>
>16 words, yes.

  Is this the same 16 words that are used for holding byte variables?
Or are there two separate storage spaces?

>  >   So, how does ScummVM handle strings? Do I create an array and stuff
>>  my characters in the bytes there?
>
>Unsure.

  Anybody know (off the top of their head) what files in ScummVM I'd
have to look in to find out about this?

  Thanks in advance for any pointers. ScummVM is rather large, so any
help will be appreciated.
M. Uli Kusterer