[Scummvm-devel] Release plans, once again

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sat Aug 21 02:26:01 CEST 2004

Joost Peters <joostp at scummvm.org> writes:

> Well, for one the freeware FOTAQ versions are -because of size (and
> thus bandwidth) considerations- only available with MP3 compression.
> Besides that, it seems to be often asked about on irc. (for
> compilation discs and the like)

What is a "compilation disc"?  Are we sure we are not talking about
distribution of illegal copies here (something which was just said
that we should not facilitate, with some emphasis)?  Why should anyone
with the original discs want to make a "compilation disc"?

For floppy versions it makes sense to want to compile them on a single
CD, but is MPEG sound really needed for this?

The FOTAQ argument has some merit, but the problem could also be
solved by uncompressing the sound before burning the CD.  (It's just
one CD, right?)

> So it might not be a bad idea including it in the build. (Or if
> linking it in consumes too much precious memory, maybe supply 2
> seperate builds?)

I'm already considering separate builds because scummvm is way to
bloated to play CoMI as it is now...

  // Marcus