[Scummvm-devel] Release plans, once again

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Aug 21 17:03:02 CEST 2004

Yo folks, relax :-)

It just seems that different people have different opinions about how
they want to (or "should") use their games and ScummVM. Some prefer to
use the original media, some to use a "compilation CD" they made
themselves... fine, no need to start a war about that.

Marcus, if you could make an alternate MP3 enabled build, I am sure a
lot of people would appreciate that. If keeping a non-MP3 version is
good due to size reasons, that's properly a good idea, too.

As to loading plugins dynamically: not only is this problematic because
you have to know in advance which CD the user will insert; but also
because we need to have the plugins loaded for the autodetector, target
lists etc.
One solution would be to keep that data outside of the plugin, and
static link it into the engine; that's not so elegeant and destroys the
clear separation between engine and plugin, but should work.

Or we could simply do the opposite: dynamic *un*loading of the
plugins... So the idea would be to first load all plugins; do all
autodetection/target discovery/whatever we me might need. Once the user
inserts that other CD and decides he wants to start to play, we can
then unload all plugins except the one which is needed for that game.
That should solve both problems mentioned above, actually. However
it'll only work if the dynamic linker allows unloading. On Unixish
systems, there is dlclose() (though I haven't actually tried it yet).

Bye,