[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM name

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Dec 6 13:45:03 CET 2004

Am 06.12.2004 um 22:16 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> Hi gang,
>
> I know, this issue was tried to be arosen some times on the past, but
> no decision (positive or negative) was performed on it.

Actually, we did make a decision every time the issue arose: we so far
always decided to stick with the name ScummVM :-)

[...]

> Seems to be misleading, eh?

Is it? Well, most people don't even know what a "SCUMM" is, I'd say.
Those who know might be mislead a bit. But then, "Windows" is not just
about windows, either, it also is about menus, and dialogs, and mice,
and graphics, and all that stuff. So it's name is a bit misleading, too
:-)

> I know scummvm.org ownership was renewed recently, but in any case we
> have to support that name for a while. So it shouldn't be an argument.

The domain name is indeed not the issue.

> Are there any arguments against rename?

Before I answer that: what are the arguments *for* a rename? You claim
that the name "ScummVM" is a bit misleading. I say, it's maybe a bit
misleading for a few people, but I don't believe the majority of our
users care. Of course, we both are just guessing, to know for sure we'd
have to conduct some kind of research into the matter (with polls and
forms and stuff like that).

So, what are the other arguments speaking for it?

> I know it's a pain, some work to do.

* We have to come up with a very good new name ("AdventureVM" just
doesn't cut it, far to generic). Not that trivial either, just remember
the Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox drama :-)

* Different project name at SF.net, leading to lots and lots of work.
Sure, this is not a fundamental problem, but it *is* something we gotta
keep in mind.

* ScummVM is a well known "brand". People know it, people use it. If we
rename, people will at first not know that new thingy at all. We'll
have to do lots of PR to make the new name as well known as the old is

> But in any case we now are not only SCUMM engine, rather
> AdventureVM (yes, I remember RAW engine :P). Why not change it to some
> other, more correct acronym?

Why not keep the good old name? It's not that I am deeply in love with
it, but then, I don't loathe it that much that I absolutely want to get
rid of it...

> ...and site redesign is at hand too...

Like the domain, I don't think the site redesign has any influence on
this decision. It might merely be convenient to do the transition to a
new name at the same time, but it's in no way necessary to do it lilke
that.

Just my two cents,