[Scummvm-devel] 0.7.0 release schedule

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Dec 7 16:02:05 CET 2004

Am 07.12.2004 um 09:01 schrieb Marcus Comstedt:

>>> All keys are returned from the pollEvent() function, so if the engine
>>> implements any "hot keys", they should work on the Dreamcast.  Unless
>>> there is some bug, that is.  :-)
>>>
>> Well, what I meant is this: on other platforms, ctrl-alt-a is used to
>> toggle aspect ratio correction. I was just wondering if it was
>> possible to add a similar feature to the Dreamcast backend. No
>> modifications in the frontends are necessary for that.
>
> Sure, but I don't see why this has to be in the backend; if you press
> ctrl-alt-a it is sent back to scummvm so it can be handled by platform
> independent code.

It doesn't *have* to be in the backend, but currently it is. But for
various reasons it's more convenient to have such hotkeys in the
backend: not all backends offer the same features, so not all hotkeys
make sense for them; not all backends even *have* hotkeys (dreamcast
has no keyboard normally, right?); and if the frontends had to handle
this, we'd have to make sure that all event loops in all frontends
handle all the possible hotkeys.

OTOH, I see no real gain by not handling those in the backend...

> If backends should do special treatment of certain key combinations,
> it should be documented in the API specification somewhere.

To speak in RFC language: It's not a "SHOULD", it's a "MAY". "Backends
MAY treat certain key combinations in a special fashion."