[Scummvm-devel] CREDITS cleanup

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Dec 19 16:24:01 CET 2004

Yo folks,

looking through our credits list, I wonder if we shouldn't clean them
up, and maybe also establish a "credits policy". The following points
"bother" me (well it's not *that* bad, just irritating :-):

1) We have a section "Contributors" but it's totally unclear who gets
there and who not. In particular, it seems that at a time everybody
contributing something got added there; but then it stopped. E.g. there
is somebody there listed with this comment: "Numerous readability and
bugfix patches". OTOH we have had tons of patches which added
functionality and fixed serious problems, and their authors were *not*
added to the credits list.
Potential solutions: Either we go through all old patches (at least the
patch tracker) and add the missing people to the credits (possibly w/o
an explanation as to why there were added; just a looong list of the
contributors); or we remove some of the more questionable entries.

2) In the "ScummVM team" list, we have Peter Moraliyski, Lionel Ulmer
and Jeremy Newman, but with all due respect, it appears to me that none
of them is active anymore nor has been for at least a year (please
speak up and correct me if i am wrong here). So while I do appreciate
their contributions in the past, shouldn't they be moved to the
"Retired" list?

3) Jeremy Newman isn't the webmaster (and hasn't been as long as I can
recall), but he did design the current website design, for which he
should be credited correctly

As somewhat related side remark: I consider moving the credits out of
the README into a CREDITS or AUTHORS file, like other projects do.
Eugene even was suggesting to write a script/tool which generates
CREDITS and credits.php (and about.cpp) from a special source file. My
initial reaction was to think that this is overkill; but if somebody
wants to spend the effort on this, I certainly won't object ;-). It
could also be used to generate a credits.xml for the DocBook manual.

Comments?