[Scummvm-devel] 0.6.0 pre-branch CVS testing

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Feb 7 10:06:00 CET 2004

Am 07.02.2004 um 18:32 schrieb <Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com>:

> I've completed Loom, CD talkie version, with a February 6 CVS
> snapshot.
>
> No major glitches, as far as I can tell.
>
> There was a case where I could force the screen to scroll while
> subtitles were drawn, and then the subtitles weren't completely
> removed. (Why are subtitles that are drawn completely beneath
> the picture removed anyway?)

Good question :-). The same holds for all V3 games which have a
separate text area, of course.

I didn't check it right now, but one answer would be "because the
original engine did so". But actually, this might not be true, at least
not in all cases -- as I said, I didn't bother to verify this statement
against the "original" engine, nor against its disassembly.

> There were also a few cases where a sound would begin with the last
> fraction of a second of the previous sound on the track, but I don't
> know if it would be an improvement to always skip a fraction at the
> beginning of a sound.

We already do that. See also scumm/script_v5.cpp, line 2771. Feel free
to try tweaking these values. If you do, it would be a good idea to add
in a comment next to that code where exactly the "problematic" scenese
in LoomCD are, so that if anybody wants to change that stuff again in
the future, they know where to check for regressions first.

> The only regression I noticed is the subtitles setting in the config
> file. Loom CD doesn't honor it. This is because the game scripts set
> and clear this variable whenever they feel like it. Annoying, but I
> don't think we can fix it without ugly hacks.

Well, maybe we simply shouldn't "sync" our (no)subtitle settings with
that scumm var? Hmm.