[Scummvm-devel] README

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Feb 8 05:16:02 CET 2004

Am 08.02.2004 um 12:31 schrieb Florian Zeitz:

>>> On the long run, I think the README shouldn't be a copy of the
>>> manual,
>>> but rather a fixed text which points out a very few things to get
>>> people started (what is scummvm, where is the homepage, where is the
>>> manual, maybe how to start scummv). Just my two cents :-)
>>
>> I should hope that the README would include things like the build
>> instructions as well so that people don't have to figure out how to
>> build
>> the manual to read the build instructions...
>
> I think build instructions should be in the docs and the docs
> shouldn't have need to be build,
> because having no real doc, but build instructions in the README is
> quite senseless,
> so there has to be a way to read docs without building anything.

Err, of course folks.

I *never* said that the binaries we ship shouldn't come with a prebuilt
manual. *Of course* we'd include the manual. Possibly in multiple
formats, like HTML and PDF. And of course the manual would be available
at all times from our homepage for browsing.

However, I don't think that putting build instructions into a HTML file
is a problem. Even if you are on a remote system with CLI only access,
there is always lynx/links/etc.

Bye,