[Scummvm-devel] Simon changes

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 31 02:35:13 CEST 2004

Max Horn wrote:
> Replying to myself.... :-)
>
> Am 31.07.2004 um 10:58 schrieb Max Horn:
>> Auto-detection is fine, but lack of any upgrade strategy seems like a
>> bad idea to me. So anybody using the simon2mac, simon2win or
>> simon1win targets in their config file now has bad config entries.
>> Worse, without manually editing the config file, there is no way for
>> them to fix it; so one has to re-add those entries. Of course that's
>> possible, but it'd be sooo much nice if a smooth transition was
>> enabled.
>>
>> At the very least, instead of just exiting, print a message which
>> tells people to manually update their config file. That also means
>> telling people which targets they should use instead now.
>>
>> Or still allow the old target names, but print a "deprecated"
>> message.
>>
>> Or automagically update those targets: if for example a "simon2mac"
>> target is loaded (i.e. a target with that gameid), automatically
>> update its gameid value to whatever now is the appropriate gameid
>> (actually, I have no idea what that is...
>>

> Actually, thinking about it, as a developer I very much prefer the
> second variant (accept old targets; maybe print a "deprecated"
> message, though one can argue whether that is really useful), at
> least for the next few months: I am right now trying to track down
> some of the simon regressions in HEAD CVS, which aren't present in
> 0.6.1; right now I have to either switch back and forth between two
> config files, or duplicate my simon config entries, once in the "old"
> style, once in the new one. Which isn't so nice :-/

Updating the game targets is simple, just remove old entries via launcher
and add games again, no need to edit config file manually at all.
Either way people will have to update their games, I would rather they do it
now rathar than later. I doubt many users even take notice of the console
window.
There were too many Simon 1/2 targets anyway and I hoped the changes would
help out detection in Dreamcase port, which currently has issues detecting
the Simon 1/2 games correctly.

> As for those regressions: I converted my "simon2win" target to use
> "simon2talkie" as gameid (with simon2dos it'll crash). Music/SFX don't
> work anymore, I get this error:

Try the README file, which mentions to make sure the platform setting is
correct.