[Scummvm-devel] SAGA engine

Eugene Sandulenko sev at interhack.net
Sat Mar 13 19:33:01 CET 2004

Hi,

as you recently noted in lazy discussion on #scummvm, danielfox
re-appeared and is willing to continue his work on SAGA engine, now as
part of ScummVM. It was initiated by Ender last year but didn't
happened till now.

I made a contact with Daniel and expressed my will to participate in
the work. He has deep knowledge of internal structure fo the engine
which is mainly described in his handwritten notes, and only part of
it is converted to digital form and put on yarn.sf.net.

Right now we're in transition mode, moving towards ScummVM framework
and C++ (originally reinherit was written in plain C). No code still
works/compiles, but the progress is rapid as the codebase is
comparable small.

Now is the question, what do you feel about adding it to the trunk and
inviting Daniel to the devteam?

It will be:
  o put in saga/ subdirectory
  o disabled by default by means of configure option
  o right now no other parts except registration of new plugin are
    touched, so I expect no impact on current code.

Just for your information, reinherit came to quite advanced stage,
being able to decode graphics, execute scripts and show whole ITE
intro sequence, though there are some design flaws in actors code
related to isometric mode of the game. It supports ITE and IHNM and
code is written quite portable way.

Eugene