[Scummvm-devel] Re: ScummVM release schedule / plans

Kevin Harris gopickyournose at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 16:30:10 CET 2004

>From: Tore Anderson <tore at debian.org>

<snip>

>   Although not serving the goal of full SCUMM support, one of the things
>  I'd like to see most is that save games and such are saved to a pre-
>  defined directory under $HOME (~/.local/share/scummvm/?) instead of $PWD.
>  I've had numerous requests to implement this behaviour in the Debian
>  package, though I'm reluctant to make the Debian package's behavour
>  deviate from that of standard distribution build.

This should be easy enough to do from a shell script.  Instead of executing
scummvm directly, you could have the users execute a shell script, which
will check to see if your save/config directories exist, and create them
(with the proper settings) if neccessary.  Remember the "savepath" setting
in the config file?

>   Another thing would be to have some standardized location for site-wide
>  installation of games, which ScummVM would scan at startup to see if it
>  found any matching games, and if so add them to the chooser menu
>  automagically.  To avoid auto detection problems, the game ID could be
>  encoded into the directory, for instance /usr/share/scummvm/games/queen/
>  for FOTAQ, etc.  This would make the games more easily accessible for
>  users who run "apt-get install beneath-a-steel-sky" or something.

Again, this could be accomplished by the same shell script.  Just check to
see if any game packages have been installed since last execution, and add
them to the user's .scummvmrc if needed.  If you write your script
correctly, the users shouldn't even notice a difference in startup time.

I think the shell-script method is better than actually adding these
features into the main executable, as each platform (and distribution) will
potentially have a different specialized location for files.  It should be
easier to maintain a single shell script for your platform than to have
everyone else work around your platform/distro specific #ifdefs (or other
similar constructs).

-Kevin-