[Scummvm-devel] 256KB reduced binary size vs. speed

Oliver Kiehl olki at scummvm.org
Fri Mar 26 17:28:02 CET 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:36:17AM +0200, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> Max Horn writes:
>  > Just to put this into relation, we are talking 3.1 MB vs 2.9 MB :-),
>  > i.e. less than 8%; OTOH we are also talking a speed difference of
>  > probably less than 5%.
> So you see the benefit. We gain 3%.

I believe just adding a --disable-hqx-scalers config option would be
by far the better decision than optimizing filesize in favour of
speed. Afterall hq?x filters *do* stress many computers that are
still in use these days. On the other hand, basicly every computer
nowadays has at least 128MB RAM. New computers usually ship with
512MB. A gain of 200k is really ridiculous compared to these sizes.

-ok