[Scummvm-devel] Out of This World / Another World?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed May 5 11:01:02 CEST 2004

Am 05.05.2004 um 19:45 schrieb <Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com>:

> I have to admit that I'm rather puzzled by the merging of 'raw' [1]
> into
> ScummVM. Particularly since there was no discussion first, unless I
> blinked
> at the wrong moment and missed it. Judging by the discussion on
> #scummvm,
> I'm far from the only one who feels that way. Including cyx, who
> suggested
> the discussion be brought up on the mailing list.
>
> There are at least two reasons why 'raw' seems like an awkward fit in
> ScummVM to me:
>
> * So far, we have only supported bitmap graphics. Out of this World
> uses
>   mostly lines and polygons, as far as I can tell. ScummVM's graphics
>   scalers are hardly ideal for this.
>
> * It's not really a point-and-click adventure - it's more of an arcade
> game.
>
> It doesn't really matter much to me, but I'd be interested to hear
> what the
> reasoning behind the merger was.

Wasn't really aware that it isn't an adventure (I don't even know that
game myself), though I was asked about it by sev (Eugene) via direct
email -- though in retrospect, it would indeed have been much better if
this had been discussed (or at least announced) on scummvm-devel. My
personal stance on this is best summarized on what I replied to
Eugene's mail to me: