[Scummvm-devel] The Situation (omnious music..)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu May 6 02:42:09 CEST 2004

Am 06.05.2004 um 11:29 schrieb David Given:

> On Thursday 06 May 2004 10:13, Max Horn wrote:
> [...]
>> Maybe it is indeed time to fan out into multiple projects... One which
>> deals with the OSystem stuff (and the rest of the infrastructure, so:
>> backends/, common/, graphics/, gui/, sound/). And then ScummVM
>> (=AdventureVM... ), and residual, and awe, and anything else which
>> might want to make use of it... of course that would decouple
>> development of the backends from the frontend, meaning slightly less
>> flexibility... OTOH, having "stable" release of the backend stuff to
>> work against might indeed have its very own advantages... projects
>> would use "OSystem 1.0.4" or "OSystem 1.2.1" etc..
>
> Would this be a good time to bring up the old idea of dynamically
> loaded
> backends?

Backends? No that would make no sense. Or maybe you meant "frontends"
(i.e. game engines like for scumm, simon, etc.) ? We already do that,
more or less.

> So that the core system just provides an (extremely high-level) game
> engine, which the various engines plug in to?

In how far would that differ from the current situation?

Are you even familiar with ScummVM sources? :-) Reading the rest of
your mail, I have to wonder about that :-)