[Scummvm-devel] Walkthrough dialog ?!?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Nov 20 04:40:02 CET 2004

Am 20.11.2004 um 07:25 schrieb Pawel Kolodziejski:

>>> might
>>> that
>>> yes, that is.
>>
>> Could you explain the reasoning behind adding it?
>>
> Because it's very usefull(very shortcut to walkthrough source) while
> playing game.

<sarcasm>
A calculator would be useful, too. And an email client: I'd be able to
check my mail while playing ScummVM. Hey,  and how about adding an
"auto-play" button. It'd take the heavy burden of having to actually
play the adventure from you, by solving it automatically and
step-by-step. Wouldn't that be useful? It'd be an interesting AI
research project, too...
And don't forget the instant-win-hotkey, which automatically makes you
win the game you're playing.
</sarcasm>

Seriously: if you want a walk through, you can just save & quit; or, on
most system, press Alt-Return to switch ScummVM to window mode, then
surf to a walkthrough; or you can simply print out a walkthrough.
I see no reason to provide it "at your fingertips". Some specific
reasons:

* It strays to far from the goals & spirit of ScummVM, IMNSHO. This
alone is for me a strong motivation to be against it.
* The added value is relatively small, if not nonexistent, to many
players
* As stated above, if people want a walkthrough, there are many other
ways to get/read one.
* To quote Ori (I fully agree with him): "I wouldn't want a solution
for a puzzle to be a button
away. It's too tempting.". That's what I mean with against the spirit.

Personally, I'd vote for removing this. It's the cup holder add-on of
computer game emulation system.

Bye,