[Scummvm-devel] RE: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] CVS: scummvm/saga music.cpp,1.34,1.35

Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com
Mon Nov 22 01:31:22 CET 2004

> Well. I did not dp it because it has no effect in case of MT-32.
>
> instrument remapping is performed in this conditional:
>
> saga/music.cpp> } else if ((b & 0xF0) == 0xC0 && !_isGM && !_nativeMT32) {
> saga/music.cpp>	    b = (b & 0xFFFF00FF) | mt32_to_gm[(b >> 8) & 0xFF] << 8;
>
> i.e. it does not remap because it's native MT32. After all MT32 is not GM,
> so actually it should be setGM(false) for it.

Surely what matters here is whether or not the *music* is General MIDI? If
_nativeMT32 is true, it won't remap the instrument regardless of _isGM, so
as you say it has no effect for MT-32. But it makes quite a difference on my
Soundblaster.

In fact, I'm not so sure about setGM(false) in the Adlib case either. It
could simply be that IHNM uses a different GM to FM mapping than our
adlib.cpp does. Introducing an extra remapping in the middle (MT-32 to GM)
might just make things worse. For instance, song 0 - the end titles - sounds
much better on Adlib with setGM(true) than with setGM(false), in my opinion.

Fortunately, we do have an authoritative source on what the IHNM music should
sound like. The composer (John Ottman) has made recordings of two tracks from
it available (in RealAudio format, unfortunately), on his Web site at
http://www.johnottman.com/projects/miscprojects/ihavenomouth/index.html

Torbjörn