[Scummvm-devel] Disabling sound

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Aug 15 15:52:33 CEST 2005

I have an interesting issue on Linux when using timidity and the ALSA music
driver.

The problem is that I have a single-open sound card. This means that only one
process can have /dev/dsp open at a time. This means that, since scummvm
always opens /dev/dsp first, timidity is unable to get at the sound device.

My current workaround is to: (a) start timidity; (b) play something with
pmidi, which forced timidity to open /dev/dsp; (c) start scummvm, which
connects to timidity but fails to open /dev/dsp; (d) kill pmidi and hope that
the music stops. This sucks.

Of course, the correct solution is to buy a multi-open sound card, but in the
mean time I'd just like to disable scummvm's dsp sound --- but I can't find
an option. Is this actually possible?

This is with scummvm 0.7.1 from the stock Debian package.

--
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm
Jim (evil)