[Scummvm-devel] Disabling sound

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Tue Aug 16 16:37:18 CEST 2005

L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXIII, David Given a écrit :
> Of course, the correct solution is to buy a multi-open sound card, but in the
> mean time I'd just like to disable scummvm's dsp sound --- but I can't find
> an option. Is this actually possible?
>
> This is with scummvm 0.7.1 from the stock Debian package.

First, configure your SDL library to use ALSA and not the OSS emulation.
Since you are using Debian packages, the simplest is to install
libsdl1.2debian-alsa instead of whatever version you are currently using.
Alternatively, you can look in the SDL documentation how to select a sound
driver (as far as I remember, it is an environment variable).

Second, configure ALSA to your needs. You can either:

- "buy" a cheap very low-volume sound card at the cost of an "modprobe
  snd-dummy";

- turn your sound card into a multi-open one using the dmix ALSA plugin.

I strongly recommend the latter solution for all applications (almost,
mplayer gives small glitches with dmix). I have written an article about the
configuration of ALSA, and especially dmix; if you can read French, you may
find it useful, it is available on Google Groups or any Usenet archive,
<alsa$config$dmix$howidid at salle-s.org>.