[Scummvm-devel] User control on ScummVM forums

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Dec 31 05:55:07 CET 2005

Am 31.12.2005 um 13:46 schrieb Travis Howell:

> Could someone will higher access on ScummVM forums please ban
> 'dogmanscreek', who posted several flames on the PSP forum today
> and I expect will cause more trouble, if not banned.
>
> It would be helpful if all moderators, had the access to ban users
> when required. As a few users causing problem on the forums, could
> easily get out of hand at the moment.

I don't object giving more people ban rights, but I will write here
what I told Eugene yesterday:

Banning users is an extreme measure, and solves little. It's really
simple to evade a ban. If we need a dozen people with ban rights to
keep ahead of the accounts which need to be banned, then we should
consider closing the forum down partially. I.e. no automatic account
approval anymore -- make an admin review and approve every new account.

This is now the second time I see complaints about dogmanscreek, so
I'll ban him. But I am *very* reluctant to agree with a "quick shot"
ban approach in a public forum. It can very easily turn against us...

Bye,