[Scummvm-devel] MT-32 ROM dump -- how?

Markus Strangl Markus at Strangl.de
Tue Jun 21 16:18:19 CEST 2005

>>thanks to WooShell (Markus Strangl) I now have a MT-32 at
>>home. Thanks,
>>Markus! I'll soon start working with this baby (I am a bit sick
>>currently, need to recover first).

Good to know German Post did not manage to fubar the parcel.. ;)

Michael Druing wrote:

 > I guess you'd need to open up the MT-32, take out the (hopefully socketed)
 > EPROMS, put them in your EPROM burner and use the "read" feature of your
 > burning software.

The idea of ripping a ROM image came to my mind quite some time ago,
unfortunately the eprom is soldered in quite good. I tried reading the
content in-circuit with a signal analyzer, but the surrounding logic
attached to the eprom made the results worthless. So, apart from
de-soldering the eprom, there is little chance. Perhaps the firmware
can be controlled to dump the data on the midi port, but I doubt that.

On the other hand.. now that you rightfully posess an original hardware
MT-32, wouldn't it be allowed to get hold of the rom images from the
internet somehow? They _are_ available.. somewhere.

If not, well, I trust in you Max to handle the soldering iron well ;)

Greets,
  Markus