[Scummvm-devel] Chewy: Escape from F5

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Jun 23 05:47:41 CEST 2005

Hi Sven,

good luck with your attempt! Actually, I do not think you need any kind
of permission from us for your endeavor: ScummVM is open source, and
anybody can write code based on it. In particular, you could write an
engine plugin even w/o any kind of support from us. You can even tell
them that is your plan, as long as you make clear that you aren't a
ScummVM dev.

The only reason to involve us would be if you wanted to integrate your
code with the official ScummVM. What I can say here is: Once you have a
(partially) working ScummVM plugin engine for a suitable game (i.e. a
graphical point&click adventure; from what you say, Escape from F5
should be OK), we usually will be happy to work with the developer(s)
to make it official. Even a partially-working one, as long as it is
clear to us that it is indeed being developed, and is of sufficient
quality.

We also will be happy to help you write a letter, I guess, or at least
review & give feedback on any letter you write; we are not lawyers,
though, but we'll try to help anyway.

What we generally will not do is to write your code for you, or add you
to the team before having seen some substantial work of yours to proof
your fitness and willingness. That might sound harsh, and to an extent
it is, but please be assured that it is nothing personal, and not meant
as a discouragement; I just prefer to clearly state the situation
*before* you spend your resources on this task, to avoid a bad surprise
on your part!

Finally, if you do get access to the source code, you may have some
chances to convince other people to help you with working on it (not
necessarily from the ScummVM team; any able coder might want to help
you) Although this largely depends on whether those folks have access
to the game in question -- e.g. is it available on ebay? or would they
be willing to release the game fully?