[Scummvm-devel] New configure options/run-time parameters

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon May 16 04:54:51 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Kirben and me finally implemented already discussed improvements to
ScummVM build system which lets us to split big SCUMM engine into
smaller parts and exclude HQ scalers from compilation.

Basically there are three new configure options for that

  --disable-hq-scalers
  --disable-scumm-7-8
  --disable-he

In Makefile system they correspond to

  DISABLE_HQ_SCALERS
  DISABLE_SCUMM_7_8
  DISABLE_HE

respectively, so if you don't use configure script for your port but
still use our Makefiles then define those symbols when needed.

In source code we now have similiar #defines

  DISABLE_HQ_SCALERS
  DISABLE_SCUMM_7_8
  DISABLE_HE

If you use custom build system, like MSVC and want to exclude some
of these features you should #define them in your config.h file and
exclude appropriate files from building process (see common/module.mk
and scumm/module.mk for exact list of files).

If you do not define either of these, everything goes as before,
i.e. you get everything compiled.

I have to mention that you can't disable SCUMM v7 and v8 and still
enable HE games since latter use AKOS subsystem which gets excluded.

Now some figures for stripped FreeBSD 5 binary:

SCUMM plugin only without v7, v8 and HE: 1.16M
SCUMM and v7 & v8 games: 1.42M
Full-blown SCUMM engine: 1.67M

HQ scalers add 150k to it
and MT-32 emu other 65k making final executable 1.89M

What it lacks now and I'd like to do is to add these features to
"Supports" list in About dialog. At least it should include "HQ". But
after recent eddition of FluidSynth there is not enough space for that
until some word wrapping will be added.

Eugene