[Scummvm-devel] Our new forums

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Tue Nov 1 17:37:53 CET 2005

Hi Team again,

It is really impressive how new forums affected our users. Over 300
posts in last 3 days, unbelievable.

But since we got attention, there go some of my concerns about it. All
that is about security. phpBB is quite well spread-out and that means
that it is an attractive target for black hats. And if another security
vulnerability will be find, we will be a nice target.

So with that in mind there goes 2 important things.

  o Backups of forum data
  o Backup admin(s)

What is this about. Backups of forum data is an easy part. Endy could
dump forums DB (and probably wiki as it seems to be on the same box)
and make them accessible for outside world. Then someone with a fast
connection (say, joostp) could fetch them and keep several last
backups.

Backup admin is a person who will be able to shut down forums in case
of breakage and/or update it in case there posted some hotfixes. If
possible this person should be in another timezone with Ender and with
a fast connectivity too.

Any ideas?

Eugene