[Scummvm-devel] SCUMM Character Set documentation

Matt Comi mattcomi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:30:29 CET 2005

Hi,

Not entirely sure where to post this, but I'd like to point out a slight
issue with the documentation on SCUMM charset resources. I've been
successfully reading in SCUMM character sets into an engine I'm developing
using the information I found at these places:

http://www.scummvm.org/docs/specs/char.php

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Charset_resources

The information at the wiki seems to be more up to date, but as I was
primarily concerned with V4 charsets, I can't say for certain how much the
documentation differs...

Anyway, I was ignoring character offsets until the last minute when I
noticed that the X and Yoffset bytes were signed, and no mention was made on
the documentation as to whether the bytes are signed or unsigned. (A lot of
the characters were falling off the screen cos the X offset was typically
255, which I soon recognised as -1 ;) )

Otherwise, the documentation was extremly useful and I'm very grateful that
someone went to trouble of writing it up!

For anyone who's interested, I'm documenting the development of my engine,
and the game I'm writing in parallel at:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mattcomi/mt/bigbucket

Thanks,

Matt.