[Scummvm-devel] Increasing maxHeapThreshold (for GF_NEW_COSTUMES)

Joost Peters joostp at 7fc1.org
Thu Nov 17 16:54:03 CET 2005

Hi,

The current default maxHeapThreshold value for games with the
GF_NEW_COSTUMES feature set appears to be too small to contain all
resources for certain scenes in V7/V8 SCUMM games, causing unnecessary
reloading from disk.
This is especially noticable in the town in COMI when hovering the mouse
over the exit(s) it'll re-load the mouse cursor every time, which causes
some serious slowdown.

Which is why I want to increase the default size of this buffer from
2.5M to ~6M (as the PS2 port already does via an #ifdef).
My only concern is that this might push certain ports (most notably the
Dreamcast port) over the edge as far as memory requirements are
concerned for games with this feature set, which is why I'm bringing it
up on the list.

The increased memory usage shouldn't affect the vast majority of our
supported platforms, and ofcourse ports to devices with little memory
can always decrease the size by basically doing the opposite of what the
PS2 port does now.

Any feedback or objections to me making this change?

Regards,
Joost